THE BOOK THIEF - MARKUS ZUSAK | BOOKS AND BLABBER

, , No Comments
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak



I had this book in my shelf for a long time, precisely, six months. I wanted to read this but every time I tried, something always came up and I had to go on a semi hiatus from reading. But once I started, there was no stopping. I would read this on my way to college. Which led to a big surprise! Are you ready for it?

For the first time ever, I was looking forward to going to the college just because of this book. At home, I wouldn't get any time to read so the only free time I had was during travelling. Quite something, isn't it?

Now, I am no expert in reviewing books/movies what so ever. I am just a bonehead with opinions which I like to express. I was very hesitant reviewing this book, nevertheless here it is.

The book thief is set in the Adolf Hitler era. It takes place in Molching, Germany near Munich between 1939 and 1943. A young girl who has witnessed great deal of agony since a tender age. Liesel Meminger, effectively an orphan who was on her way to her foster parents with her brother and mother when she witnessed the first visit of death where death engulfs her brother in it's hood forever. That's also the first time she steals a book, The Gravedigger's Handbook.

Her foster parents, Hans Hubermann and Rosa Humbermann are poor Germans with a huge heart. Liesel Meminger is taught reading and writing by Hans Hubermann and way of life and bravery from Rosa Hubermann. She becomes friends with lemon haired boy as she likes to describe him, Rudy. Rudy is a hardcore admirer of Jesse Owens and a very lively boy. I absolutely loved everything about  him. 
Everything goes even until one night when a Jew shows up at their door step, Max. We are told about the old promise Hans Hubermann made to help Max's widowed mother whose husband was a good friend to Hans Hubermann. (He taught him how to play the accordian which is a beautiful element in the book).

With a Jew hidden in their (Hubermann family) basement and the crises of conflicts between the Nazis and the Jews. We are on a journey never experienced before. 

It's a shame really, to review this book with my sloppy words. An unique idea of narration by none other than death itself which is humorous yet so gripping in a dark way. 

An aesthetic balance. 

I could not let go of this book. I did not want it to end. I wanted to know more. I wanted to know about Liesel's adult life. From beginning to end this book had me captivated in its beauty. The characters. The journey of Liesel becoming a beautiful person despite what her eyes witnessed since a tender age. A warm heart even death couldn't resist being friends with. 

The relations of every character are described in a manner which I haven't read anywhere before. The richness of the description is so exhilarating in it's own way. I truly think, not everyone can write like Zusak did. It's not just a book but a piece of art. The speech of the book is at a constant ease, so natural. A thrill to know what will happen next, what has fate decided for Liesel kept me hooked till the end.

Being honest here, I felt the book was going bit slow in the beginning but now that I have finished it, I have a change of opinion. I can't express it. 
A 5/5 work by Markus Zusak. 

That's about it, I don't think I did any justice to the book with this hasty review but I wanted to anyway. I would like to rate this five out of five without any hesitation. 

Lastly, I'd like to thank her. If you are reading, 
Thank you, Alina for this beautiful gift. 

I hope you liked this review. Let me know by commenting below and sharing it with people who might be interested. I am out for now. Have a great day ahead! 

Signing out, 
SL

0 comments:

Post a Comment